Sashikala Ananth LIVE with Madhu Kishwar Sashikala Ananth is an architect by qualification and holds a Bachelor's Degree in Architecture from the Madras School. Sashikala has researched the classical Indian science of Architecture – Vastu, for over thirty years. She was a student of Sri Ganapati Sthapati a leading authority on the Vastu Shastras (for 10 years between 1982-1992). She also studied Yoga at the Krishnam Acharya Yoga Mandiram.
Having studied the Vastu texts extensively, assimilating traditional wisdom and exploring its field application, she has worked on projects incorporating the wisdom of vAstu in creative and harmonious ways with the modern lifestyle.
Sashikala Ananth is also a behavioural scientist. She obtained her certification from ISISD in 1984. At present she is a fellow of Sumedhas – Academy for Human Context. Her work as a behavioural scientist has been largely focused on helping NGO’s and Educational Institutions.
A recipient of the Ashoka Foundation Scholarship for innovative contribution to the field of architecture, she was also part of a team which made the 1991 National award winning film ‘The Living Tradition, A Shilpi Speaks’ that explains the traditions of the sculptor.
The thrust of the work:
To be able to envisage a coming together of both design concept and philosophy and to be able to apply this in the field effectively, she has been consolidating all the streams of learning and wisdom that have been part of her training. This includes yoga, behavioral work, fine arts, mythology, craft, vAstu shAstras, architectural training and human psychology. Sashikala has conducted several seminars across the world where she brought together this unique confluence of learning and experience. She and her husband Raghu Ananthanarayanan have been running a design and self-development centre called Vadivam for the last four decades.
- Early years in Auroville for initial study and understanding of traditional materials
- 10 years with Ganapati Sthapati studying the vAstu shilpa shAstra and working on various projects with him. For example the Tiruvalluvar statue in Kanyakumri, Shivaya Subrahmanya swamy temple in Hawaii, Ratnagiri temple
- 3. Renovation and restoration of the buildings in the Theosophical society campus in Chennai using Chettinad plaster
- Residential Buildings designed and built between the years 1972 to 2015.
- Ashram and temple at Kollur for Shri. Tathata, called Tapovarishtashramam
- vAstu correction and additions for factories and business houses, between 1980 to 2017
Books by Sashikala: The books she has written on vAstu are considered definitive works in the field. ·
- Penguin Books: ‘A Penguin Guide to Vastu’;
- Penguin Books: ‘The pocket book of Vastu’;
- Roli Books: ‘Vastu – A Path to Harmonious Living’ and
- Aurobindo Ashram Press: translation of ‘Indian sculpture and Iconography – forms and measurements’ from Tamil.
Sashi can be contacted at: [email protected]
Bank Name: Axis Bank
Account Name: Manushi Trust
A/c No: 921010044743603
IFSC Code: UTIB0001148
Branch: Jasola, New Delhi – 110025
Type: Current Account
To support Manushi, please click on this link:
We urge you to subscribe to our YouTube channel.
Join us on:
? Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/madhu.kishwar1
? Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/madhupurnimakishwar/
? Twitter: https://twitter.com/madhukishwar
? Website: https://www.manushi.in/
? Email: [email protected]
? Telegram: https://t.me/manushiIndia
Manushi Trust was instituted in 1979 to provide the legal and organizational base for publishing Manushi – A Journal about Women & Society which was founded in 1978. Apart from publishing the journal ( whose print edition was discontinued in 2008 when we faced murderous attacks and endless harassment due to our work for street vendors), Manushi Trust has been involved in a whole range of activist interventions.
(For a Brief Glimpse of Manushi's engagements over the last four decades, click here https://www.manushi.in/about-us)
From its very inception, Manushi founder & Managing Trustee, Madhu Kishwar took a policy decision not to accept foreign funding or government grants in order to retain the independence and autonomy of the organization.
Aims & Objectives: MANUSHI has endeavoured to contribute towards finding effective solutions for the economic, political, social and civilizational challenges confronting India today through patient study, a non-partisan approach, live interaction with the people concerned, and culturally sensitive, informed activism. MANUSHI seeks out practical and creative ideas to meet the challenges of our times and avoids falling into the trap of deadening ideologies.
MANUSHI is neither Left-Wing Nor Right-Wing. We are Truth Wingers.
- Social Harmony, Not Social Fragmentation;
- Religious Freedom, Not Religious Tyranny;
- Equity, Not Special Rights;
- Legitimate Concerns of All, Illegitimate Demands of None;
- Cultural Freedom, Not Cultural Slavery to Alien Norms;
- Community Bonding, Not Narcissistic Individualism;
- Citizenship Rights, Not Communal Tyranny in the Name of Minority Rights;
- Our Right to Historical Truth, Not Fake Narratives to Protect Enemies of Bharat;
- The right to reclaim the vandalized heritage of Bharatvarsh & assert its civilizational integrity in all domains: social, political, educational, cultural, and dharmic.
Manushi Trust also publishes books, makes documentary films and undertakes a whole range of activities, including legal aid and PIL work, through the modest resources generated by the sales and subscriptions of our publications.
Manushi Founder, Madhu Kishwar describes her work as "labour of love" and has ensured that her lifelong commitment to Resurgent Bharat is one of giving, not of taking. She has never accepted any monetary fee on account of her work for Manushi. Instead, she has continuously sustained Manushi from her own earnings as a professor and writer.
Manushi has managed to stay alive on a shoe-string budget for over four decades on the strength of dedicated volunteers that came from different parts of India as well as abroad. Though we have a small team of paid staff, we welcome volunteers and interns.